GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNCG women's tennis finishes its fall season this weekend, competing at the UNCW Fall Tournament in Wilmington this Friday and Saturday. In addition to the hosting Seahawks, the Spartans will face athletes from Campbell and Morgan State as well, with day one of this week's clay court tournament kicking off at 10 a.m.
Where: Wilmington, N.C. | Country Club of Landfall
Day 1: Friday, November 1st | 10 AM
• The Spartans return to Wilmington during the fall season for the first time in three years, last competing against Campbell, UNCW, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte and Virginia Tech in the 2016 Seahawk Invitational
• UNCG lost its most recent spring matchup in Wilmington, falling to the Seahawks 6-1 in 2018
• Erika Barquero won her first round of singles play at the ITA Carolina Regional, before falling to the No. 17 singles player in the Carolinas, Alle Sanford of UNC
• Brianna Gomez advanced as far as the third round of the ITA Carolina Regional B Bracket, tallying a win over Elon's Uma Nayar
• The Spartan women proved themselves as the top team in September's Lynn Stevens Invitational, earning a combined 19 match wins out of a possible 27
• Gomez was a perfect 3-0 in singles play at Conway last month, while redshirt-freshman Hanna Giddings collected five wins between singles and doubles play
• The Spartans have lost their past four spring contests against UNCW, but nearly swept Campbell during this year's Lynn Steven's Memorial Classic, winning nine of 10 matches played against the Camels in singles and doubles play
• Morgan State has been one of the top teams in the MEAC over the past decade, going a perfect 5-0 in conference last spring
COMING UP NEXT
The Spartans will prepare for their spring opener in January, again facing the Seahawks, but this time at home in Greensboro on the 25th.
-- UNCG –