GREENSBORO, N.C. - After starting the Southern Conference season on back-to-back wins against Mercer and the Citadel, UNCG women's soccer was forced to bounce back from a loss to Furman with a 1-0 defeat of Wofford this past Sunday.
With a 3-1-0 record in SoCon play, the Spartans trail Samford (3-0-1) and Furman (3-0-1) for the top mark in the conference by half a game, and will be looking to catch the top of the field with a win over VMI this Friday at UNCG Soccer Stadium.
• UNCG has lost just once to the Keydets over six meetings in total, and are on a three-match winning streak against the side
• The Spartans are undefeated against VMI when playing in Greensboro, registering a goal differential of plus-four over three matches
• The Spartans' 23 goals on the year currently rank 25th in all of Division I women's soccer, while their average of 7.85 shots on goal per match sit eighth
• Senior midfielder Grace Kennedy scored the first goal of her career this past Sunday, with her 78th minute tally against Wofford going down as the game-winner in the Spartans' 1-0 victory
• Freshman keeper Abby Buchholz delivered four stops against the Paladins on Friday, along with another two against the Terriers on Sunday, her GAA has shrunk from 4.31 to 1.80 since taking the starting job in mid-September
• Sophomore defender Gracie Timbario scored the first goal of her career in the Spartans' 2-0 shutout victory over Mercer, making a run from midfield to inside the 18, before tucking away the finish
• Senior forward Cienna Rideout has tallied nine points over her past seven appearances, averaging 2.29 shots on goal during that span of time
• VMI has scored just five goals on the year, hitting the back of the net once since the start of September. The other four all occurred in a single match victory over Delaware State
• Freshman keeper Noelle Heilpern currently ranks 11th in the country with 65 saves on the year. She's one of four freshman Keydets to earn a start in 2019
COMING UP NEXT
With just a single match on slate this week, the Spartans' next contest will take place at Samford next Friday night, before playing at Chattanooga on Sunday. UNCG's two road matchups will be its last away from Greensboro this regular season, hosting their final two scheduled matches against Western Carolina and ETSU at home on the 25th and 27th.
-- UNCG –