GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNCG men's soccer will look to continue its recent offensive prowess against one of the top defenses in the region this Saturday, hosting the visiting Appalachian State Mountaineers at 7 p.m. inside UNCG Soccer Stadium.
The Spartans are coming off a 5-1 road victory over UNC Asheville on Wednesday, in which Faisal Almubaslat and Micah Albert each collected a pair of goals. Boasting one of the top-50 offenses in the country, UNCG will be met by a Mountaineers defense that has allowed just four tallies all season, and is 4-1 in their past five contests.
• The Spartans lead the all-time series against Appalachian State with a record of 22-10-0
• UNCG dropped its previous meeting with the Mountaineers 1-0 in 2018, but held a four-match win streak against ASU prior to that loss.
• Senior Faisal Almubaslat recorded a career-high five points against UNC Asheville, scoring a pair of goals along with an assist
• Sophomore Micah Albert registered a brace against the Bulldogs as well, bringing his season goal total to a team-high four
• UNCG's performance against the Bulldogs marks the first time the club has had two separate players collect a pair of braces in a single match since beating VMI 8-1 (10/26/16)
• Nearly doubling their goal production for the year in Asheville, the Spartans' 11 tallies in 2019 rank second in the Southern Conference and 35th in Division I men's soccer
• Sophomore Matthew Cutler collected a pair of assists in just the third start of his career at UNCA, his first points as a part of the Spartan squad
• App State was on a four-match winning streak before dropping a 1-0 decision at Elon on Tuesday. The goal scored by the Phoenix broke a streak of 325 consecutive minutes of shutout soccer for the Mountaineers
• With a save percentage of .867, redshirt-freshman goalkeeper Jacob Madden currently ranks 36th in the country, while his 26 total saves sit 24th
COMING UP NEXT
The Spartans take the short trip to Elon this coming Wednesday at 7 p.m., facing off with a Phoenix side they defeated 1-0 last year, in a double overtime thriller
-- UNCG –