GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (25-19) fell 6-2 to RV/RV North Carolina (31-16) Wednesday evening at UNCG Softball Stadium. The Tar Heels scored six unanswered runs to secure the victory.
North Carolina grabbed the lead with a one-out, three-run homer to right field in the third inning. The Tar Heels added three insurance runs in the fifth inning on a pair of RBI-hits.
UNCG’s two runs came in the first inning. Delaney Cumbie led off with a single to right center and advanced to second base on a sac bunt by Makenna Matthijs. After Gabi Howard walked on four-straight balls, Stephanie Bryden knocked in both baserunners with a one-out double to center field.
UNCG returns to Southern Conference play with a weekend series at Mercer that starts with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.
News and Notes
- The attendance was 663, breaking the program’s record for highest attendance for a single game.
- Bryden started and went four innings with six hits, four earned runs and no walks with two strikeouts.
- Kylie Bouplon recorded the last nine outs and allowed one run, three hits and two walks with two strikeouts.
- The Spartans left six on base and had a double play end the third inning with the bases loaded.
- Cumbie had half of the UNCG’s hits, going 2-4 with a run and double.
-- UNCG –