GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro faces RV/RV North Carolina (29-15, 15-6 ACC) in a home matchup Wednesday at 6 p.m. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.
The perfect beach accessory is a UNCG cooler bag! Pick one up this Wednesday at the @UNCGSoftball game 🆚 UNC.— UNCG Promotions (@UNCGPromotions) April 22, 2019
⏰: Gates open @ 5 pm, game time is 6 pm.
Cooler bags are for the first 1️⃣5️⃣0️⃣ students! pic.twitter.com/odCCBD7R39
Five Facts to Know
- UNCG is in the midst of four-straight games against opponents with top-30 RPI’s as North Carolina is slotted at 27th. Falling 6-2 at home to No. 10/11 Louisiana (18th RPI) last Tuesday, the Spartans dropped a doubleheader 6-3 and 4-9 Saturday at No. 15/21 South Carolina (20). The Spartans are ranked 72nd as one of two SoCon teams in the top-100 with Chattanooga at 98.
- Marisa Sholtes ranks fourth in career home runs (37) in program history after hitting a two-run homer in the sixth inning against Louisiana to move ahead of Penny Thompson (2003-06). Sholtes also tied Danielle Vega (2013-16) for the sixth-most career RBI’s at 118, passing Jennifer Bonilla (2004-07) at 117. Sholtes ranks in the Southern Conference this year second in slugging percentage (.713), third in homers (11), tied for third in doubles (nine), fourth in total bases (77), tied for fifth in RBI’s (31), fifth in batting average (.343) and eighth in on-base percentage (.432).
- UNCG has been one of the best power-hitting teams in the SoCon, leading the conference in home runs (43), slugging percentage (.441), doubles (61) and total bases (502). In the nation the Spartans are 42nd in home runs per game (1.00), 77th in doubles per game (1.42) and 78th in slugging percentage.
- Stephanie Bryden ranks third all-time in career strikeouts in school history at 495, passing Hannah Angel (2005-09) at 484 two weekends ago. She is also sixth in most career victories at 47, needing one more to tie Amber Watson (2000-03) for fifth.
- Bryden has already recorded the third-most strikeouts in a single season with 188 and is on pace to break the record of 262 by Christine Hornak (1997).
The Spartans This Season
UNCG enters the game with a 25-18 record. The Spartans are tied for second place in the SoCon standings with Mercer (7-4) and a game and a half behind Samford (10-4).
Kylie Bouplon and Bryden have been UNCG’s main two pitchers as all both have made at least 16 starts and 21 appearances. In the SoCon, Bouplon ranks fifth in ERA (3.07), fourth in strikeouts (71) and sixth in lowest opposing batting average (.269). Bryden leads the league in wins (18), strikeouts (188), opposing batting average (.210) and is fourth in ERA (2.63) and strikeouts looking (38). In the nation, Bryden ranks 20th in strikeouts, 22nd in wins, 34th in strikeout-to-walk ratio (4.95), 41st in strikeouts per seven innings (8.4), 95th in hits allowed per seven innings (5.57).
Freshmen Delaney Cumbie has made a big impact for the Spartans. She leads the SoCon in on-base percentage (.477) and walks (24) and is tied for third in doubles with Sholtes, fifth in fielding percentage (.993), sixth in batting average (.337) and slugging percentage (.564). Makenna Matthijs is third on the team in batting average (.321) and slugging percentage (.534) and tied for first in the conference in doubles with 10.
North Carolina has a 43-10 advantage in the all-time series. The Spartans have won in each of the last two seasons against the Tar Heels with a 4-3 victory in 10 innings last year in Chapel Hill and a home 6-3 win the previous season on March 8.
UNCG goes on the road for the second-straight weekend for a pivotal SoCon weekend series against Mercer that starts with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.
-- UNCG –