GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro faces No. 10/10 Louisiana (37-4, 18-0 Sun Belt Conference) at home Tuesday at 6 p.m. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.
Five Facts to Know
- Beginning with Louisiana (19), UNCG will face four-straight opponents in the top-40 in the RPI rankings with a two-game weekend series at South Carolina (21) Friday-Saturday and home game against North Carolina (38) next Wednesday. The Spartans are ranked 74th as the only SoCon team in the top-100.
- Marisa Sholtes (36) ranks tied for fourth in career home runs in program history with Penny Thompson (2003-06). Sholtes also ranks eighth in career RBI’s with 116 and has increased her career slugging percentage to .671 to rank second all-time.
- UNCG has been one of the best power-hitting teams in the SoCon, leading the conference in home runs (42), slugging percentage (.456), doubles (57) and total bases (486). In the nation the Spartans are 35th in home runs per game (1.05), 54th in slugging percentage and 73rd in doubles per game (1.43).
- Stephanie Bryden ranks third all-time in career strikeouts in school history at 487, passing Hannah Angel (2005-09) at 184 with six strikeouts last weekend. She is also sixth in most career victories at 47 and ninth in career ERA (2.62).
- Bryden has already recorded the third-most strikeouts in a single season with 180 and is on pace to break the record of 262 by Christine Hornak (1997).
The Spartans This Season
UNCG enters the game with a 25-15, 7-4 record. The Spartans split a doubleheader last Wednesday at Appalachian State with a 5-2 win and 2-1 loss before falling twice to Western Carolina 4-3 and 8-3 this weekend at home. UNCG is tied for second place in the SoCon standings with Mercer (6-3) and are a game and a half behind Samford (9-3).
Bryden, Kylie Bouplon and Hannah Stiltner have been UNCG’s main three pitchers as all three have made at least five starts and 10 appearances. In the SoCon, Bouplon ranks fourth in ERA (2.53), fourth in strikeouts (69) and fifth in lowest opposing batting average (.260). Bryden leads the league in wins (18), strikeouts (180), opposing batting average (.196) and is second in ERA (2.27) and strikeouts looking (35). In the nation, Bryden ranks 15th in strikeouts and wins, 23rd in strikeout-to-walk ratio (5.63), 34th in strikeouts per seven innings (8.7), 64th in hits allowed per seven innings and 82nd in walks allowed per seven innings (1.54).
Freshmen Delaney Cumbie has made a big impact for the Spartans. She leads the SoCon in on-base percentage (.479) and walks (21) and is fourth in batting average (.344) and doubles (eight), fifth in fielding percentage (.992) and sixth in slugging percentage (.581). Makenna Matthijs is third on the team in batting average (.322) and slugging percentage (.509) along with eight doubles, tied for fourth in the conference in doubles with Cumbie and ranked as the 33rd-toughest player in the nation to strike out with five in 121 at-bats.
This is the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
UNCG heads back to Columbia, S.C. for the second time this season for a two-game series Friday-Saturday with No. 16/22 South Carolina.
-- UNCG –