GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (25-13) split a doubleheader against Appalachian State (27-11) with a 5-2 win and 2-1 loss Wednesday at Sywassink/Lloyd Family Stadium. Stephanie Bryden (17-6) earned the victory with a complete game, allowing two runs, five hits and one walk with 10 strikeouts.
Now an 8️⃣-game winning streak as we take game ☝️ at App State 5️⃣-2️⃣! @mmarisasholtes had a 2-run homer, & @TeamSc26 also had a 2-RBI hit. @StephBryden_03 improved to 18-6 with her 10-straight complete game #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/9r6sPLpiZG— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) April 10, 2019
App State scored the first run of the day on a two-out, solo homer in the second inning, but UNCG took the lead in the fourth inning. Delaney Cumbie led off with a walk, and Marisa Sholtes followed with a homer to left field, her team-high 9th of the year.
The Spartans added three insurance runs in the last inning. The bases were loaded when Makenna Matthijs led off with a double to right field, Cumbie singled down the left field line and Marisa Sholtes beat out a throw from the shortstop for an infield single. Gabi Howard knocked in two runs with a single up the middle. After a fielder’s choices resulted in an out at home plate, Hannah Kincer brought home Howard on a sac fly to the warning track in centerfield.
The Mountaineers produced the game-winning run of the second game on a leadoff home run to left field in the fifth inning.
App State scored first again the fourth inning of the second game on a sac fly to right field.
UNCG tied the game up in the next inning. With two outs, Makenna Matthijs singled up the middle and scored on an RBI-double to right center by Cumbie.
UNCG returns home for a weekend series against Western Carolina beginning with a doubleheader Friday at 1 p.m.
News and Notes
- The Spartans had an eight-game winning streak snapped and have won 13 of their last 16 games.
- With her 47th career win, Bryden moved ahead of Amber Harrell (2010-14) for sixth-most wins in program history.
- With 174 on the season, Bryden moves into fifth place for most strikeouts by a Spartan in a single season, passing Vanessa Oakes (165-2006, 166-2007) and Harrell (172-2008).
- Bryden threw her 10th-straight and 15th complete game of the year.
- Bryden is 11-1 in her last 12 appearances with all but one as a complete game.
- Bryden has thrown eight 10+ strikeout outings this season and 15 in her career.
- Kylie Bouplon threw her eighth complete game, giving up two runs, six hits and three walks with five strikeouts.
- Cumbie, Stettler and Matthijs all finished with three hits. Cumbie and Matthijs also both had two runs each.
-- UNCG –