GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (24-12, 7-2) got the sweep of Furman (10-25, 2-7) with a 10-0 shutout in five innings Sunday afternoon at Pepsi Stadium. The Spartans’ offense exploded for 11 hits, 10 RBI’s, three walks and two doubles.
That's 2️⃣straight road @SoConSports 🧹!! We end the series vs. Furman with a 1️⃣0️⃣-0️⃣ shutout in 🤚 innings. Cumbie led the way by going 3-3 with a double & RBI. We finished with 11 hits, 10 RBI's & 3 BB's #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/jLYYARUtdZ— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) April 7, 2019
UNCG took the lead for good in its first trip to the plate. Makenna Matthijs drew a leadoff walk, and Delaney Cumbie doubled down the left field line. Matthijs scored on a one-out sac fly to centerfield by Gabi Howard.
The Spartans had five runs the next inning. Melanie Darges led off the inning with a double to centerfield and advanced to third base on a wild pitch. After Hannah Kincer hit an infield single, Samantha Lagrama brought home Darges with an RBI-single to right center. Monica Pepe followed with an RBI-single through the middle, and Matthijs loaded the bases with a single to centerfield. Cumbie got an RBI-single through the left side, and Pepe jogged home for a run after a bases-loaded walk by Marisa Sholtes. The last run came on an RBI-fielder’s choice at third base by Howard.
UNCG reached the run-rule minimum in the fourth inning. Matthijs and Cumbie both singled to the shortstop to start the inning, and Matthijs scored on an RBI-single through the right side by Sholtes. After the bases were loaded when Howard reached on a fielder’s choice with a throwing error by the third baseman, Katie Stettler got an RBI-groundout to the second baseman. Darges knocked in Sholtes on an RBI-single to left center and advanced to second base on the throw. After Kincer loaded the bases, the final run came on a sac fly to centerfield by Lagrama.
UNCG faces Appalachian State on the road Wednesday for a doubleheader starting at 4 p.m.
News and Notes
- Stephanie Bryden (17-6) pitched a complete game, allowing four hits and three walks with seven strikeouts.
- With her 46th career win, Bryden tied Amber Harrell (2010-14) for sixth-most wins in program history.
- Bryden threw her ninth-straight and 14th complete game of the year.
- Bryden is 10-1 in her last 11 appearances with all but one as a complete game.
- Bryden has five shutouts this season with two this weekend.
- Sholtes moved into seventh place in program history for RBI's at 113, passing Kaitlin Merkt (2007-11) at 112.
- The Spartans have won seven-straight games and 12 of their last 14 games.
- UNCG has won seven-straight against Furman by a combined score of 61-2.
- Cumbie reached base in all three trips to the plate with a double and two singles along with a run and RBI.
- Matthijs and Darges both went 2-3. Matthijs had a game-high three runs.
- Matthijs finished the series with a team-high five hits in 10 at bats with seven runs, four RBIs, two walks and a hit by pitch. Cumbie and Darges also had four hits on the weekend.
-- UNCG –