GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro faces in-state rival Elon this weekend in a three-game series. The Spartans will host the first two games with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m., and the series finale is on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Elon.
Live stats will be available at UNCGSpartans.com for each game, and the doubleheader will have live streams.
Help us raise awareness THIS Saturday for both pancreatic cancer and leukemia during our Strike Out Cancer game!— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) March 14, 2019
The first 1️⃣1️⃣0️⃣ fans can enjoy a 🆓 build your own brownie bar!
Donate here ➡️ https://t.co/Ztu0Dgd4lP pic.twitter.com/5yPIkWDIIF
Five Facts to Know
- Marisa Sholtes (29) ranks seventh in career home runs in program history and needs two more to tie Nicole Thomas (2013-16).
- 11 of Sholtes’ 15 hits this year have been for extra-bases. Despite missing seven games this year, she leads the Southern Conference in doubles (eight) and is fourth in slugging percentage (.627) and tied for sixth in homers (three).
- UNCG has been one of the best power-hitting teams in the SoCon, leading the conference in home runs (25), slugging percentage (.463) and total bases (296) and are second in doubles (36). In the nation the Spartans are 37th in home runs per game (1.05), 42nd in doubles per game (1.59) and 72nd in slugging percentage.
- Stephanie Bryden leads the SoCon in strikeouts (81) and ranks 79th in the nation in strikeouts per seven innings (7.8). She has recorded 388 strikeouts, and with 12 more she would become the eighth Spartan to reach the 400-mark.
- Gabi Howard is the only Spartan to start in all 23 games, and Melanie Darges is the only other Spartan to play every game with starts in all but two. The freshman Howard has manned the third base position and ranks in the SoCon tied for fourth in homers (four), tied for ninth in total bases (38) and slugging percentage (.543).
The Spartans This Season
UNCG enters the weekday game with a 13-10 record. In their most recent game, the Spartans scored seven-straight unanswered runs for an 8-6 comeback victory at North Carolina A&T Wednesday. Last weekend UNCG went 3-2 in its Spartan Classic with wins over Sacred Heart (9-5), Towson (10-9) and Delaware (6-5). In the victories over the Blue Hens and Tigers, the Spartans came back from 3+ run deficits as well. UNCG has played its last 13 games in the state of North Carolina with Wednesday’s game, two home tournaments, a home-opening 5-0 win over Oakland and the Carolina Classic in Chapel Hill.
Bryden, Kylie Bouplon and Hannah Stiltner have been UNCG’s main three pitchers as all three have made at least five starts and nine appearances. In the SoCon, Bouplon ranks fourth in ERA (2.71) and sixth in strikeouts (42) and lowest opposing batting average (.271). Bryden leads the league wins (nine) and is fourth in opposing batting average (.235) and fifth in ERA (2.84).
The Spartans own a slight advantage over the Phoenix in the all-time series at 41-38-2. UNCG took the series 2-1 last year, winning the lone game at UNCG Softball Stadium 5-3 on March 9 and splitting a doubleheader at Hunt Softball Park the next day with a 4-1 victory in eight innings.
UNCG kicks off SoCon play with a home weekend series against Samford starting with a doubleheader next Saturday at 1 p.m.
-- UNCG –