GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (13-10) scored seven-straight unanswered runs in the last three innings to defeat North Carolina A&T (3-13) Wednesday afternoon at Lady Aggie Softball Complex. Hannah Kincer knocked in the game-winning run with a pinch-hit, two-run homer to left field in the seventh inning, her second of the season.
The Spartans’ rally started in the fifth inning. Delaney Cumbie hit a two-out triple to centerfield. After Gabi Howard drew a walk, a throwing error by the pitcher allowed Cumbie to score. Pinch-hitter Kayleigh Willis knocked in Howard and Katie Stettler on a single to centerfield.
UNCG got a run in the sixth inning. Makenna Matthijs and Kamryn Graves got infield singles with one out. After a fielder’s choice put Matthijs on third base, she scored on an RBI-single to left field by Marisa Sholtes.
Trailing by one run entering the final inning, leadoff hitter Howard doubled to centerfield and scored on an RBI-triple to right center by Stettler.
Matthijs hit a home run to centerfield on the game’s first pitch.
The Aggies scored six-straight runs in the first four innings. After tying the game up with a sac fly in the first inning, N.C. A&T went up in the third inning with a leadoff homer. The Aggies then added four runs in the next inning.
UNCG faces another local school, Elon, in a three-game series this weekend. The Spartans host a doubleheader Saturday starting at 1 p.m., and the series finale is Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Phoenix’s stadium, Hunt Softball Park.
News and Notes
- Bryden (9-5) threw 3.2 innings of relief, giving up no earned runs, four hits and one walk with two strikeouts.
- Hannah Stiltner started and went 3.2 innings with four runs, five hits and no walks with two strikeouts.
- Matthijs reached base all five times at the plate with two hits and three walks along with two runs.
- Cumbie went 2-4 and had her first collegiate triple.
- Howard was the only other Spartan to collect more than one hit with a single and double along with two runs and a walk.
-- UNCG –