GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (11-9) split a pair of games Saturday at UNCG Softball Stadium in the second day of the Spartan Classic, defeating Towson (5-5) 10-9 and losing to Saint Peter’s (2-8) in a game that was resumed in the top of the fifth inning after being postponed due to rain on Friday night. Against the Tigers, the Spartans scored five runs in the sixth inning and then four in the seventh to come back for the walk-off victory.
Towson scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning to retake the lead after the Spartans tied it up in the previous inning. In the bottom of the final inning, Stephanie Bryden led off with a double to left field and scored on an RBI-single to left center by Gabi Howard. Down to their last out, the Spartans loaded the bases on a fielding error by the shortstop. Melanie Darges was hit by a pitch for the second run, and Makenna Matthijs delivered the walk-off hit with a two-RBI single up the middle.
In the sixth inning Bryden also led off with a double to right center and advanced to third base on a wild pitch. Delaney Cumbie hit a one-out, RBI-single to left field and stole second base. Hannah Kincer then hit her first collegiate home run, a two-run shot to left field. With two outs, Monica Pepe drew a walk and was followed by an infield single by Darges. Matthijs knocked in Pepe with an RBI-single to centerfield, and Darges was able to sore after a throwing error by the pitcher over the third baseman’s head.
UNCG had the game’s first lead after Bryden hit a two-out solo homer to right center in the first inning, her first of the season.
Towson scored six runs in the third inning after taking advantage of two errors by the Spartans.
UNCG was unable able to come back for a second time against Saint Peter’s. The Spartans scored one run in the sixth inning with an RBI-double to left field by Kamryn Graves and had the tying run at the plate in the final inning, but the game ended after two-straight outs.
Sunday’s tournament slate has been pushed up an hour due to the continued rain from this weekend. UNCG will now face Delaware at approximately 3:30 p.m. and Towson 30 minutes after the conclusion of the previous game.
News and Notes
- The Spartans have earned five walk-off wins with Matthijs delivering the game-winning hit twice.
- Kylie Bouplon (3-2) got the victory with two innings of relief, allowing two earned runs, three hits and one walk with three strikeouts.
- Bryden started against Towson and went five innings with two earned runs, six hits and two walks with six strikeouts. She threw all three innings in relief against Saint Peter’s and retired all nine batters faced with eight strikeouts. Stiltner was given the loss after pitching the four innings on Friday.
- Bryden finished with three of the Spartan’s four extra-base hits against Saint Peter’s and scored all three times.
- Matthijs went 4-5 with three RBI’s.
- Cumbie’s stolen base was the first of her collegiate career.
-- UNCG –