CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (9-8) lost twice in extra innings to Maryland (10-8) 17-9 in eight innings and George Washington (11-3) 4-3 in nine innings Sunday at Anderson Stadium to conclude the Carolina Classic.
Maryland scored 10 runs in the eighth inning for the victory and began the inning with eight-straight hits and a walk.
The Spartans came back from deficits twice to tie the game up. After the Terrapins opened the game with four runs following a 2-out error, the Spartans took the lead with 5 runs in the bottom of the first inning. Kamryn Graves led off with a walk, advanced to second base on a wild pitch and scored on an RBI-single up the middle by Katie Stettler. After back-to-back walks by Jasmine Palmer and Gabi Howard, Delaney Cumbie hit an-RBI single to centerfield. Melanie Darges drew a bases-loaded RBI-walk. The go-ahead run came on an RBI-single to centerfield.
Maryland went back ahead with a three-run homer in the fifth inning, but UNCG tied the game up in the seventh inning. Howard led off with a single to left field. After a fielder’s choice by Cumbie, Stephanie Bryden singled through the right side. The bases were loaded by a Darges’ walk, and the first run came on an RBI-groundout to the shortstop by Samantha Lagrama. Monica Pepe tied the game by beating out a throw from the shortstop for an RBI-single.
The Spartans scored two runs in the final inning. With Graves on second base to start with the international tiebreaker, Stettler led off with a homer to centerfield, her first as a Spartan.
George Washington won the game on a one-out, walk-off sac fly to centerfield. In the top of the inning the Spartans had the bases loaded with no outs but recorded two-straight foul outs to the first baseman and a fly out to the centerfielder. UNCG finished with 12 runners left on base.
UNCG grabbed a lead in the first inning. Stettler got a one-out infield single, and then Cumbie hit her second homer of the year to left center.
After the Colonials hit a solo homer in the second inning, the Spartans responded with a run of their own in the next inning. Howard delivered with a two-out RBI-single to center to knock in Graves from second base.
UNCG returns to action for a doubleheader at Presbyterian Wednesday starting at 2 p.m.
News and Notes
- All four pitchers were used against the Terrapins. Kylie Bouplon started both games, lasting one inning against Maryland with three hits, four unearned runs and one walk. Against the Colonials Bouplon threw three innings with three runs, five hits and two walks with two strikeouts.
- Bryden was charged with both losses in the first game. She gave up six earned runs in the eighth inning to Maryland. Against George Washington she threw 5.2 innings of relief with one run, four hits and two walks.
- Bryden was chosen to the all-tournament team. On Friday she threw her fifth complete game of the year in the 9-1 victory over Fairfield in six innings, allowing one run, one hit and three walks with 11 strikeouts. Bryden has had two 10+ strikeout outings this season and nine in her career.
- 8 Spartans registered at least two hits on the day. Cumbie led the way, going 4-9 with a home run, double and three RBI’s. Pepe and Howard each had three hits.
- Graves recorded her first collegiate stolen base in the second base, which was just the second stolen base in as many attempts this season.
-- UNCG –