GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro women’s soccer plays its final games of the regular season this weekend against Chattanooga and Samford. The Spartans face the Mocs Friday at 7 p.m. and Bulldogs Sunday at 2 p.m.
Both games will be on ESPN+. Links for the stream and live stats for each game are available at UNCGSpartans.com.
- Five players will be honored before Sunday’s game, their last home regular season game at UNCG Soccer Stadium: four seniors (Gabbi Charles, Emily Jensen, Caylin Prillaman and Heida Ragney Vidarsdottir) and graduating junior Lauren Daniels.
SoCon Tournament Implications
- The Spartans will host a SoCon Tournament Quarterfinals matchup as they’ve clinched a No. 1-4 seed. Samford (19 points) leads UNCG by one point entering the weekend followed by ETSU (16) and Chattanooga (13).
- The Bulldogs will play at VMI on Friday, who is winless in the SoCon.
- ETSU holds the tiebreaker against UNCG with last Sunday’s win and will play at Mercer and The Citadel this weekend.
- UNCG needs at most two points to finish ahead of Chattanooga.
All-Time Series Vs. Chattanooga & Samford
- Owns an 18-3-2 record against Chattanooga and 5-6-1 record versus Samford.
- Dropped just one meeting (10-1-1) at home to the Mocs.
- Last year UNCG tied Chattanooga 0-0 in the regular season and won 2-0 at home in the SoCon Tournament Quarterfinals. The Spartans lost 2-0 at Samford during the year but then won 2-1 (2OT) in the semifinals of the tournament on the Bulldogs’ home field.
Enters the matchup with an 11-3-1, 6-1-0 record and have outscored opponents 36-13.
Leads the SoCon in goals against average (0.85), goals per game (2.40) and assists per game (2.27).
Cienna Rideout leads the team both in goals (12) and points (28), which are the most points by a Spartan since Chesney White had 37 in 2014. After missing the opening weekend, Rideout scored in four-straight games, all game-winners. She leads the league in goals (0.92), game-winning goals (0.38) and points per game (2.15).
Nicole Souply is next in scoring with five goals and 12 points, which both rank eighth in the league.
Goalkeeper Aiyanah Tyler-Cooper has played all but 57 minutes this year and ranks second in the league in save percentage (.836) along with 61 saves.
Last Time Out-UNCG
- Suffered its first SoCon loss of the year 2-1 at ETSU last Sunday.
- The Buccaneers’ Eleonora Goldoni scored the game-winning goal in the 81st minute on a penalty kick.
- Rideout tied the game up in the 57th minute off a pass from Quiqui Hita.
- Tyler-Cooper made five saves.
- Finished with a slight edge in shots, 19-15, while the Bucs had the edge in corner kicks, 4-2.
Owns an 8-6-2, 4-2-1 record and lost its only game last weekend at home to Samford 2-0.
Tied with UNCG and Samford for the most shutouts (seven) in the SoCon.
Sophomore forward Chloe Arnold leads the team in goals (11) and assists (five) and ranks second in the conference in points per game (1.80). Scoring three times, senior midfielder/defender Masey Fox is the only other Moc with more than a pair of goals.
Picked to finish seventh in the SoCon Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
Enters the weekend with a 9-5-1, 6-0-1 record and five-game winning streak. Their only non-win in SoCon play was a 2-2 tie at home to Mercer on Sept. 23.
Rank second to last in the SoCon in goals per game (1.33) but average 2.14 goals in conference games.
Forward junior Erin Bonner leads the team in goals (six) and points (12). Sophomore forward Caroline Orman and senior forward Ella Baggett are tied for second with seven points each.
Selected first in the preseason poll by just one more point ahead of UNCG.
-- UNCG –