Men's Tennis Drops Tough Match with East Carolina
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis dropped a tough matchup with the East Carolina Pirates Saturday afternoon. The doubles point proved to be the difference in the match as the teams split the six singles matchups. UNCG falls to 5-4 on the season while East Carolina improves to 13-3.
William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) and Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) took No. 1 doubles over Freddie McGeehan and James Ling, 6-3. UNCG fell at No. 2 and No. 3, 6-2, 7-5 respectively.
In singles play, Thompson took care of McGeehan in two sets, 7-5, 6-4. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) defeated Vlad Anghel, 6-1, 6-2. Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) defeated Kasey Countee, 6-4, 6-3 for the third Spartan point. UNCG came up just short at No. 3 singles, as the match was decided in three sets. UNCG took the first set 6-2, but fell in the next two sets, 6-4, 6-1.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Freddie McGeehan (ECU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Vlad Anghel (ECU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ronny Georgi (ECU) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-2
5. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) def. Kasey Countee (ECU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Will Bissett (ECU) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-4
East Carolina 13-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,4,6,1,3)
UNCG is back in action Sunday afternoon as it hosts the ETSU Buccaneers in the first game of Southern Conference play.