GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNCG men's soccer sweeps Southern Conference weekly honors with Albert Pedra's historic hat trick and Brendan Pulley's fourth clean sheet of 2019 garnering the pair Offensive Player of the Week and Defensive Player of the Week respectively. The pair had large roles to play in their 2019 Regular Season Championship-clinching victory against Mercer last Tuesday, along with their final regular season win over Old Dominion on Saturday.
Senior | Winger | Vinaros, Spain
• First career Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Week honor
• Scored a hat trick in UNCG's 3-1 defeat of Old Dominion
• Delivered his three goals in the span of 3:04, the fastest in SoCon history, and the fifth-fastest in NCAA history
• Also added an assist against Mercer for a four-point weekend
• His performance against ODU gives him a team-high eight goals on the year, and places him second in the conference
Freshman | Goalkeeper | Holly Springs, N.C.
• Second career Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Week honor; second this year
• Recorded his fourth clean sheet of the year in a 2-0 defeat of Mercer
• Made four stops against the Bears and another four in a 3-1 win over ODU
• His .90 goals against average in 2019 leads the SoCon while his .737 save percentage sits second
• All four of Pulley's clean sheets have come in conference play, more than any other SoCon keeper this year
After assisting on Micah Albert's game-winner against Mercer last Tuesday, Albert Pedra put together one of the top performances in conference history on Saturday night, scoring three goals in a span of 3:04 against Old Dominion, for a 3-1 Spartans' regular season finale win. The winger scored his first of the night in the 80th minute to draw his team level, before scoring his second just 1:28 later, and completing the hat trick in the following 1:36. The Spaniard's three-goal performance is the fastest hat trick scored in Southern Conference history and ranks fifth-fastest in Division I men's soccer all-time. Pedra's three finishes gives the senior a team-high eight goals on the year, while moving him into second in the conference.
Making four stops in the Spartans' 2-0 win over Mercer, Brendan Pulley grabs his second Defensive Player of the Week marker after recording his fourth clean sheet of 2019. The freshman netminder currently holds a SoCon best .90 goals against average in 2019, while his .737 save percentage stands second. Pulley's save total rose to eight on the week after making another four stops in UNCG's 3-1 victory over ODU. All four of his shutouts have come against Southern Conference foes this year, as he's failed to allow more than a single goal in his last nine appearances.
The No. 2 Spartans continue their run toward becoming unified champions this Sunday at 6 p.m. as they await their opponent in this year's SoCon semifinal at UNCG Soccer Stadium, the winner of Friday's No. 3 ETSU/No. 6 Belmont matchup.
-- UNCG –