GREENSBORO, N.C. – Stephanie Bryden (10-5) and Kylie Bouplon (4-3) both threw one-hit shutouts as UNC Greensboro softball (15-10) swept a home doubleheader 2-0 and 8-0 (five innings) against Elon (15-9-1) Saturday afternoon at UNCG Softball Stadium. Marisa Sholtes led the way at the plate with three homers and finished 5-6 with five RBI’s and four runs.
In the first game of the day, Bryden struck out 11 batters and allowed just one hit and walk as a Phoenix runner never reached second base.
Solo homers by Makenna Matthijs and Sholtes to centerfield in the first inning were all the offense the Spartans needed.
Boulon allowed just two walks with a pair of strikeouts in the next game.
Sholtes got another homer to centerfield in the first inning with two outs, this time a two-run shot following a single by Katie Stettler.
UNCG exploded for five runs in the next inning. Kamryn Graves led off with a homer to right center, the second of her career. Monica Pepe reached third base on a throwing error by the third baseman and scored on an RBI-double down the right field line by Melanie Darges. With one-out Sholtes knocked in Darges with an RBI-single down the left field line. Gabi Howard then hit her fifth homer of the year to centerfield.
Sholtes knocked in the game-winning run in the fourth inning on a solo homer to left field, her sixth of the year.
UNCG looks to sweep the series Sunday at 1 p.m. in Elon.
News and Notes
- With 399 career strikeouts, Bryden now ranks tied for eighth all-time in program history with Christine Hornak after moving ahead of Cory Mattson (2009-12) at 394.
- Sholtes is tied with Kaitlin Merkt (2007-11) with 32 career homers for seventh-most in school history after surpassing Nicole Thomas (2013-16) at 31.
- Bryden has thrown four 10+ strikeout outings this season and 11 in her career and has a team-high seven complete games.
- Bouplon recorded her first complete game shutout and fifth complete game of the season.
- Kayleigh Willis, Graves, Darges and Stettler all collected two hits.
-- UNCG –