CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – UNCG women’s tennis dropped its matchup with the top seeded Furman Paladins in the opening round of the Southern Conference Tournament Friday afternoon. With the loss, UNCG finishes the season 4-17 and is eliminated from the tournament. Furman advances to the semi-finals where they will take on the host Chattanooga Mocs.
The competition started with Furman edging the Spartans in the doubles competition. Katarina Kozarov and Gabby Rodriguez earned a 6-3 win over Alice Taylor and Blaine Boaz before Carol Kerman and Georgie Walker knocked off Corinne Blythe and Sophia Adams, 7-5 to take the point.
Furman won the first three singles matches to clinch the four points and the match. Taylor suffered the loss at No. 2 before Freshman All-SoCon selection Brianna Gomez suffered a 6-0, 6-3 loss at No. 4. Adams dropped the match at the second flight as Furman advanced with the 4-0 victory.
- Katarina Kozarov (FUR) vs. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 7-6 (7-3), 2-3, unfinished
- Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
- Danni Vines (FUR) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
- Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) def. Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3
- Georgie Walker (FUR) vs. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
- Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) vs. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
- Katarina Kozarov/Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) def. Alice Taylor/Blaine Boaz (UNCG-W) 6-3
- Katty Weymouth/Danni Vines (FUR) vs. Nancy Bridges/Emily Ory (UNCG-W) 5-6, unfinished
- Carol Eliz. Kerman/Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Corinne Blythe/Sophia Adams (UNCG-W) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,3)