Men's Tennis Comes up Short Against Samford in the SoCon Tournament
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – UNCG men’s tennis fell in the opening round of the Southern Conference Tournament Friday morning at the Champions Club in Chattanooga. The Spartans took on the Samford Bulldogs falling 4-3. UNCG lost the doubles point and as the teams split the singles competition. The Spartans finish 2018 at 11-11 overall. Samford advances to take on top seeded ETSU tomorrow.
Doubles play opened with UNCG’s first team All-SoCon pair of Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe earning a 6-4 victory at No. 1. Samford evened it up with a 6-4 win of its own at No. 3. The Bulldogs notched a 7-5 win at the second flight to take the first point of the morning.
Samford went up 2-0 after Aleksandar Petrovic earned a straight-set win over Daniel Hammarstedt at No. 5. UNCG evened the match at two after Ollie Palmer earned a 6-3, 6-4 win over Justin Ghavami at No. 2, and the reigning SoCon Player of the Year Thompson took care of Jake Faundez, 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1. Samford gained a 3-2 advantage after Rossouw Nroval defeated Grewe in three sets. Jack Burkill tied it up again after defeting Max Rebol, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. Marcus Vidgren competed hard at No. 3, but fell in three sets to Eduardo Lourido, 6-3, 6-7, 6-3.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Jake Faundez (SAM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. Justin Ghavami (SAM) 6-3, 6-4
- Eduardo Lourido (SAM) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-3, 6-7 (10-12), 6-3
- Rossouw Norval (SAM) def. Nico Grewe (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3, 6-2
- Aleksandar Petrovic (SAM) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-0, 7-5
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. Max Rebol (SAM) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Jake Faundez/Rossouw Norval (SAM) 6-4
- Justin Ghavami/Aleksandar Petrovic (SAM) def. Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 7-5
- Eduardo Lourido/Max Rebol (SAM) def. Jack Burkill/Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,1,4,6,3)