SPARTANBURG, S.C. – UNCG women’s tennis played tough but couldn’t come away with the win in a matchup with the Wofford Terriers Tuesday afternoon. The Spartans took the doubles point, but couldn’t find the three singles points needed to earn the win. UNCG falls to 3-15 on the season and 0-6 in Southern Conference play. Wofford improves to 9-8 and 1-5 in league play.
The doubles competition saw UNCG take two of the three matches. The pair of Emily Ory and Nancy Bridges easily took the No. 2 match, 6-0. After Wofford evened the match with a 6-4 win at No. 3, the Spartans got a clutch performance from Blaine Boaz and Alice Taylor as the pair defeated Cassidy Hicks and Jenna Vroman, 7-5 at No. 1 to take the point.
Singles competition saw Wofford tie it up with a 6-1, 6-4 win from Cassidy Hicks at No. 1. Brianna Gomez helped the Spartans regain the lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Curran Carver at No. 4. Wofford took its first lead of the match after winning matches at flights two and three. UNCG got a win at No. 5 from Corinne Blythe, 6-3, 6-2 but the Spartans couldn’t find the win it needed, dropping the match at No. 6.
- Cassidy Hicks (WOF) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
- Jenna Vroman (WOF) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
- Lauren Reid (WOF) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-1, 7-6
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Curran Carver (WOF) 6-3, 6-3
- Corinne Blythe (UNCG) def. Brittney Wilbur (WOF) 6-3, 6-2
- Samantha Russell (WOF) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-4, 7-5
- Blaine Boaz/Alice Taylor (UNCG) def. Cassidy Hicks/Jenna Vroman (WOF) 7-5
- Emily Ory/Nancy Bridges (UNCG) def. Curran Carver/Brittney Wilbur (WOF) 6-0
- Lauren Reid/Samantha Russell (WOF) def. Sophia Adams/Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-4
UNCG Women's Tennis 3-15 (0-6)
Wofford Women's Tennis 9-8 (1-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,4,2,3,6)
The women’s tennis team is back in action tomorrow as they take on the Davidson Wildcats at Davidson at 3 p.m.