Men's Tennis Earns Non-Conference Victory at Coastal Carolina, 5-2
CONWAY, S.C. – Despite dropping the doubles point to start the match, UNCG men’s tennis dominated the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Friday night. The Spartans won five of six singles matches to earn the victory. UNCG improves to 8-9 with the victory, while Coastal Carolina falls to 6-12.
The match started with the Chanticleers taking two of three matches in the doubles competition to earn the first point. After Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe earned a 6-1 win at No. 1, Coastal Carolina came up with wins at flights two and three to earn the point.
Singles started with Marcus Vidgren tying the match after defeating Gonzalez Achondo, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3. Coastal Carolina regained the lead with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Ollie Palmer at No. 2 before UNCG went on to win the final four matches. Daniel Hammarstedt earned a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 5 to tie it up at two before Grewe defeated Paul Boulay in three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 to take a lead UNCG wouldn’t relinquish. Thompson clinched the match with a 7-6, 3-6, 6-3 win over Zak Talic at No. 1. Jack Burkill earned a three-set victory at No. 6 to solidify the victory.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Talic, Zak (COASTAL) 7-6, 2-6, 6-3
- Faria, Luiz (COASTAL) def. Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Achondo, Gonzalez (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-3
- Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Boulay, Paul (COASTAL) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. Castellanos, Juan (COASTAL) 7-5, 6-3
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. Cori-Gamero, F. (COASTAL) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
- Nico Grewe/Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Faria, Luiz/Boulay, Paul (COASTAL) 6-1
- Talic, Zak/Cori-Gamero, F. (COASTAL) def. Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-4
- Achondo, Gonzalez/Castellanos, Juan (COASTAL) def. Jack Burkill/Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-2
UNCG Men's Tennis 8-9
Coastal Carolina 6-12
The men’s tennis team is back in action Sunday as it heads to Charleston for a Southern Conference matchup with The Citadel at 1 p.m.