GREENSBORO, N.C. – After sweeping the doubles competition from the Mercer Bears, UNCG men’s tennis couldn’t find the three singles victories it needed to earn its second Southern Conference victory of the season. The match was UNCG’s last home match of the season, as the Spartans fall to 7-9 and 1-3 in SoCon play. Mercer improves to 13-6 and 5-1 in SoCon action. The two Spartan seniors finished their final match at the UNCG Tennis Courts undefeated as Thompson finished 2-0 with wins at No. 1 singles and doubles. Logan Walker notched a victory at No. 2 doubles in the loss.
UNCG looked dominant to start the day, earning wins at all three doubles matches. Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe got things rolling with a 6-3 win at No.1 over Sam Philp and Olivier Stuart. The duo of Jack Burkill and Ollie Palmer clinched the doubles point by defeating Stathis Tsiranidis and Carver Arant, 7-5 at No. 3. Logan Walker paired with Marcus Vidgren to defeat Nicolas Guillon and Ruben Vanoppen, 6-4 at No. 2 to complete the sweep.
Singles play saw UNCG take the lead 3-0, with Palmer defeating last year’s SoCon Freshman of the Year, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 2, and Thompson continuing to take care of business at No. 1, winning in straight sets over the No. 112 ranked player in the country, Sam Philp, 6-2, 6-3. UNCG couldn’t get the point it needed to take the match as the Spartans fell in three sets at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Sam Philp (MER) 6-2, 6-3
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. Olivier Stuart (MER) 6-2, 7-5
- Nicolas Guillon (MER) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
- Fernando Guardia (MER) def. Nico Grewe (UNCG) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
- Ruben Vanoppen (MER) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4
- Carver Arant (MER) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Sam Philp/Olivier Stuart (MER) 6-3
- Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Nicolas Guillon/Ruben Vanoppen (MER) 6-4
- Jack Burkill/Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. Stathis Tsiranidis/Carver Arant (MER) 7-5
Mercer Men's Tennis 13-6, 5-1 SoCon
UNCG Men's Tennis 7-9, 1-3 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,6,4,5)
The men’s tennis team returns to the court Saturday, April 7th as they head to Coastal Carolina for a matchup with the Chanticleers.