GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis was back in action at the UNCG Tennis Courts for just the second time this season Saturday afternoon. The Spartans dropped a 6-1 matchup with the Davidson Wildcats, falling to 7-8 on the season. Davidson improves to 13-5.
Doubles competition saw Davidson take matches at No. 2 and No. 3 to earn the point. Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe battled Artem Khrapko and Axel Fries, earning a 7-6 (7-5) victory at No. 1, but Davidson had clinched the doubles point.
Singles play saw Davidson earn wins at No. 2 and No. 6 before Thompson defeated Khrapko in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 for UNCG’s lone point. The Wildcats closed the day out by winning the next three singles matches to earn the victory. Marcus Vidgren and Grewe took their opponents to three sets at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, but each came up short.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Artem Khrapko (DAV) 6-3, 6-2
- Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) def. Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3
- Axel Fries (DAV) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2, 1-0 (7-4)
- Thomas Mason (DAV) def. Nico Grewe (UNCG) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
- David Hager (DAV) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
- Jack Riazzi (DAV) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Artem Khrapko/Axel Fries (DAV) 7-6 (7-5)
- Shamael Chaudhry/David Hager (DAV) def. Logan Walker/Eric Whisnant (UNCG) 6-3
- Jack Riazzi/Yash Parikh (DAV) def. Ian Melnik/Logan Blaser (UNCG) 6-4
UNCG Men's Tennis 7-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,1,5,4,3)
The men’s tennis team is back in action Tuesday at 2 p.m. as they’ll host Southern Conference-rival Mercer at the UNCG Tennis Courts.