Men's Tennis Defeats Appalachian State, 6-1
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis took on the Appalachian State Mountaineers Tuesday afternoon at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center. The Spartans earned a 6-1 victory over the Mountaineers to improve to 7-6 on the season. App State falls to 10-7 with the loss.
UNCG started the afternoon by taking two of the three doubles matches to earn the first point. Jack Burkill paired with Ollie Palmer to defeat Alex Brea and Alexander Free, 6-2 at No. 3. After UNCG fell at No. 2, Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe pulled out the win at No. 1, 7-6 (7-3) to take the first point.
The Spartans ran away with the singles competition, earning wins in five of six matches. Daniel Hammarstedt notched a 6-3, 6-1 win over Blake Carter to put UNCG up two. Grewe added another win at No. 4, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) . The next Spartan win came from Ian Melnik at the No. 6 spot, earning a three-set victory over Alex Brea, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5. The Spartans suffered their only loss at No. 2, but closed the match out with Palmer and Thompson earning three-set victories at No. 3 and No. 1, respectively.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Scott Webster (APP) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
- Milo Bargeron (APP) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3)
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG-M) def. Ben Webster (APP) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3
- Nico Grewe (UNCG-M) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) def. Blake Carter (APP) 6-3, 6-1
- Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) def. Alex Brea (APP) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG-M) def. Scott Webster/Milo Bargeron (APP) 7-6 (7-3)
- Alex Pavkovich/Ben Webster (APP) def. Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-4
- Jack Burkill/Ollie Palmer (UNCG-M) def. Alex Brea/Alexander Free (APP) 6-2
Appalachian State 10-7
UNCG Men's Tennis 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,6,2,3,1)
The men’s tennis team is back in action this Friday as they are scheduled to host the Furman Paladins at 2 p.m. at the UNCG Tennis Courts at 2 p.m.