GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis dropped a 6-1 decision to the Furman Paladins Saturday evening at the Starmount Forest Country Club. The match was originally scheduled to be played outside, but due to inclement weather, the match was moved. The Spartans fall to 3-10 and 0-3 in Southern Conference play. Furman improves to 12-8 and 3-0 in league play.
Doubles saw the Paladins take all three matches. Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) and Alice Taylor (Cambridge, Great Britain/UMBC) scored the only points of doubles, but fell 6-1. UNCG fell at No. 2 and No. 3, 6-0.
Singles competition saw freshman Brianna Gomez (Miami, Fla./John A. Ferguson) add to her impressive rookie season, earning a 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 win over Georgie Walker at No. 5. Gomez improves to 11-1 on the season and 2-0 in SoCon play.
- Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
- Aryn Greene (FUR) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 0-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Danni Vines (FUR) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-4, 6-0
- Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Georgie Walker (FUR) 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
- Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) def. Emily Ory (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
- Aryn Greene/Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Corinne Blythe/Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-1
- Gabby Rodriguez/Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) def. Emily Ory/Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-0
- Danni Vines/Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Sophia Adams/Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 6-0
Furman 12-8, 3-0 SoCon
UNCG Women's Tennis 3-10, 0-3 SoCon
The women’s tennis team is back in action Wednesday as they will host Elon at the UNCG Tennis Courts starting at 2:30 p.m.