GREENVILLE, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis took the court against the East Carolina Pirates Wednesday afternoon in Greenville. The Spartans dropped the nonconference match, 4-1 and even their record at 6-6. ECU improves to 17-3 on the season.
East Carolina tookt he doubles point, winning No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, 6-3, 6-4, respectively. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) earned UNCG’s lone point of the day, defeating Vlad Anghel, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1. Nico Grewe (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) had matches at No. 5 and No. 6 go unfinished as ECU had taken the match with wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Vlad Anghel (ECU) 6-3, 6-2
- Freddie McGeehan (ECU) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-2, 7-5
- Ronny Georgi (ECU) def. Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-3, 7-5
- Kasey Countee (ECU) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2
- Wisse Jonker (ECU) vs. Nico Grewe (UNCG) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
- Javier Ronones (ECU) vs. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 6-0, 1-2, unfinished
- Vlad Anghel/Freddie McGeehan (ECU) def. Connor Thompson/Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 6-3
- Kasey Countee/Ronny Georgi (ECU) def. Jack Burkill/Nico Grewe (UNCG) 6-4
- Wisse Jonker/Javier Ronones (ECU) vs. Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 4-5, unfinished
UNCG Men's Tennis 6-6
East Carolina University 17-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,3,2,4)
Men’s tennis is back in action Tuesday for the first match at the UNCG Tennis Courts of the 2018 season as they host Appalachian State at 2 p.m.