BOONE, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis dropped a 5-2 matchup with the former SoCon-rival Appalachian State Mountaineers Thursday afternoon at the Deer Valley Racquet Club. The Spartans earned the doubles point, but fell in five of six singles matches. The Spartans fall to 4-9 on the season, while App State improves to 10-5.
Doubles was highly contested as UNCG was able to squeak out a pair of wins. The competition started with a 6-0 match at No. 1 with App State taking the early advantage. Miami-natives Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) and Brianna Gomez (Miami, Fla./Jobn A. Ferguson) tied the doubles competition up with a 7-6 (7-1) win over Sandra Anglesjo and Emily Gaskins at No. 3. Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) added a 7-6 (7-4), win to earn the doubles point.
App State came out strong in the singles competition, earning straight-set wins and flights one and two before Adams knocked off Taylor Bygrave, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 for UNCG’s second point at No. 3. The Spartans fell in the final three matches, with Gomez taking the No. 5 match to tiebreakers before eventually falling to Rebecca Morse.
- Maria Jose Zacarias (APP) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
- Teodora Sevo (APP) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
- Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. Taylor Bygrave (APP) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
- Heidi Swope (APP) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
- Rebecca Morse (APP) def. Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 1-0 (10-3)
- Melissa Machado (APP) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
- Heidi Swope/Maria Jose Zacarias (APP) def. Blaine Boaz/Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-0
- Corinne Blythe/Nancy Bridges (UNCG) def. Sandra Anglesjo/Emily Gaskins (APP) 7-6 (7-4)
- Sophia Adams/Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Melissa Machado/Teodora Sevo (APP) 7-6 (7-1)
UNCG Women's Tennis 4-9
Appalachian State 10-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,6,4,5)
UNCG women’s tennis is back in action this Saturday as it will play host to the Furman Paladins at the UNCG Tennis Courts at 1 p.m.