Thompson Secures 4-3 Victory over Bryant
WILMINGTON, N.C. – Senior Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) broke the 3-3 tie to secure the victory over the Bryant Bulldogs at the Battle at the Beach, hosted by UNCW Saturday morning. The win is UNCG’s first road victory as the men’s tennis team improves to 6-4 on the season. Bryant falls to 7-15.
Bryant took the first point of the match, winning No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Thompson teamed with Ollie Palmer (Twyning, Great Britain/St. Peter’s) to defeat Matt Kuhar and Artur Jakubowski, 6-2 at No. 1. The Spartans fell with identical scores of 6-4 at 2 and 3 as Bryant opened the scoring.
UNCG tied the match up with the first singles point as Nico Grewe (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) earned a 6-3, 6-1 win over Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia at No. 5. Bryant regained its advantage, taking No. 3 from Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium), 7-6 (1), 6-2. UNCG answered again with Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) defeating Trent Massam, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6. Bryant responded with a win of its own, a three-set match with Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) falling 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3. With UNCG trailing 3-2, Palmer and Thompson stepped up. Palmer tied the match after a 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-4 win over Luke Lorenz at No. 2 before Thompson completed the comeback with a 7-5, 7-6 (4) win over Kuhar at No. 1.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Matt Kuhar (BRYANT) 7-5, 7-6 (4-0)
2. Ollie Palmer (UNCG-M) def. Luke Lorenz (BRYANT) 6-7 (0-3), 6-3, 6-4
3. Artur Jakubowski (BRYANT) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 7-6 (1-0), 6-2
4. Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (BRYANT) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Nico Grewe (UNCG-M) def. Jorge Isaias Ortiz-G (BRYANT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. Trent Massam (BRYANT) 6-3, 7-5
UNCG Men's Tennis 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,6,4,2,1)
The men’s tennis team is back in action tomorrow as it will compete against the host UNCW Seahawks at 2 p.m. for the final Battle at the Beach.