CHARLESTON, S.C. – UNCG women’s tennis came up short in the doubles competition, losing what proved to be the deciding point Friday afternoon at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex against Charleston Southern. The Spartans and Buccaneers split the three singles matches but the doubles point was the decider. UNCG falls to 3-5 on the season, while Charleston Southern improved to 6-3.
Doubles started with Charleston Southern taking two of the three matches. Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) and Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) notched a 6-4 win at No. 2. Alice Taylor (Cambridge, Great Britain/UMBC) and Corrine Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) dropped a 6-2 match at No. 1 with Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERR Environmental Institute) and Emily Ory (Lafayette, La./Louisiana Connections Academy) falling 6-2 at No. 3.
Charleston Southern took the first three singles matches to go up 4-0 before UNCG registered a point. Bridges got the Spartans on the board with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Sophie Cloessner at No. 1. Adams added a three-set win over Kimberley Koerner 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 at No. 5 with Brianna Gomez (Miami, Fla./John A. Ferguson) adding a 7-6, 6-3 win at No. 6.
- Nancy Bridges (UNCG) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU) 6-3, 7-5
- KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-0, 6-0
- ERICSON, Filippa (CSU) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 7-5, 6-1
- MAN, Madalina (CSU) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
- Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU) 7-6, 6-3
- CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU) def. Alice Taylor/Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-2
- Nancy Bridges/Blaine Boaz (UNCG) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU) 6-4
- MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU) def. Sophia Adams/Emily Ory (UNCG) 6-2
UNCG Women's Tennis 3-5
Charleston Southern 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)
The women’s tennis team is back in action tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. at Clemson.