CONWAY, S.C. – UNCG women’s tennis battled with the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Tuesday evening at the Stevens Tennis Complex at Coastal Carolina. The Spartans split the singles competition, but Coastal Carolina was able to edge the Spartans for the doubles point and took the match. The loss snaps UNCG’s three-match winning streak and improves Coastal to 7-4 on the season. The Spartans are now 3-3 in spring season.
Coastal took the first of the three doubles matches, with Jessie Mount and Rylie Cox defeating Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) and Brianna Gomez (Miami, Fla./John A. Ferguson), 6-3 at No. 3. Alice Taylor (Cambridge, Great Britain/UMBC) and Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) evened it up with a 6-4 victory at No. 2 over iryna Vvardanian and Alexa Tiefel. UNCG couldn’t complete the comeback for the first point as Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) fell 6-4 to Sara Bondar and Somer Dalla-Bona at No. 1.
In the singles competition, Adams tied the match up after handily defeating Maria Khomchenko, 6-0, 6-2 at No.5, before Bridges redeemed herself with a smooth 6-2, 6-3 victory over Vardanian at No. 1. UNCG then dropped matches at No. 3 and No. 4 before Gomez tied the match at three with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Mount at No. 6. Taylor played tough at No. 2, but fell 7-6, 7-5 to Dalla-Bona as the Chanticleers took the match.
- Nancy Bridges (UNCG) def. Vardanian, Iryna (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-3
- Dalla-Bona, Somer (COASTAL) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 7-6, 7-5
- Cox, Rylie (COASTAL) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3
- Bondar, Sara (COASTAL) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
- Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. Khomchenko, Maria (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-2
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Mount, Jessie (COASTAL) 6-4, 7-5
- Bondar, Sara/Dalla-Bona, Somer (COASTAL) def. Blaine Boaz/Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-4
- Alice Taylor/Corinne Blythe (UNCG) def. Vardanian, Iryna/Tiefel, Alexa (COASTAL) 6-4
- Mount, Jessie/Cox, Rylie (COASTAL) def. Sophia Adams/Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 6-3
Coastal Carolina 7-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,3,4,6,2)
Women’s tennis is back in action this Saturday at 11 a.m. as it heads to Lynchburg, Virginia for a nonconference match at Liberty.