Men's Tennis Sees Winning Streak Snapped at UNC Asheville
ASHEVILLE, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis saw its streak of four-straight victories snapped Sunday afternoon in Asheville. The Spartans dropped a 5-2 match to the UNC Asheville Bulldogs and fall to 4-2 on the season, while the Bulldogs improve to 3-3.
UNC Asheville took the early lead after sweeping the doubles competition. The Spartans played tough as Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) dropped a 7-5 decision to Henry Patten and Olly Cull at No. 1. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) fell 7-6 at No. 2 and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Nico Grewe (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) played tough at No. 3, but fell 6-4.
The singles competition saw Ollie Palmer (Twyning, Great Britain/St. Peter’s) earn a three-set win over Edward Colclough, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, and Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Ava Gymnasium) earned another three-set victory, defeating Andrew Sinai, 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 at No. 4.
- #32 PATTEN, Henry (AVL) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG) 7-5, 6-3
- NOLAN, Oli (AVL) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. COLCLOUGH, Edward (AVL) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. SINAI, Andrew (AVL) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0
- CULL, Olly (AVL) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
- MCFADYEN, Finlay Ray (AVL) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
- PATTEN, Henry/CULL, Olly (AVL) def. Connor Thompson/Ian Melnik (UNCG) 7-5
- COLCLOUGH, Edward/NOLAN, Oli (AVL) def. Marcus Vidgren/Jack Burkill (UNCG) 7-6
- SINAI, Andrew/MCFADYEN, Finlay Ray (AVL) def. Logan Walker/Nico Grewe (UNCG) 6-4
UNC Asheville 3-3
The men’s tennis team is back in action Saturday Feb. 24th as it opens Southern Conference play at ETSU at 11 a.m.