GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis opened the 2018 spring season Friday afternoon at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis center, hosting the Charlotte 49ers. The Spartans played tough but fell 5-2 to Charlotte. UNCG is 0-1 to start the season, while Charlotte opens the season 1-0.
In doubles play, Charlotte opened the scoring taking two of three matches. The third match went unfinished as Charlotte had earned the doubles point.
Singles action saw UNCG earn a pair of victories early. Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) made short work of Immie Cowper, earning a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5. Brianna Gomez (Miami, Fla./John A. Ferguson) notched her first dual meet win as the freshman earned a 7-6 (2), 6-0 win over Megan Smith at the No. 6 flight.
- Tai Martin (CHA) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 3-6, 7-6 (4-0), 6-4
- Alexandra Lee (CHA) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
- Rocio Safont (CHA) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
- Pierina Imparato (CHA) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. Immie Cowper (CHA) 6-1, 6-0
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Megan Smith (CHA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
- Tai Martin/Immie Cowper (CHA) def. Blaine Boaz/Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 7-5
- Emma Scott/Pierina Imparato (CHA) def. Corinne Blythe/Alice Taylor (UNCG) 6-4
- Tayah Cross/Emily Ory (UNCG) vs. Megan Smith/Gabriela Gonzalez (CHA) unfinished
UNCG Women's Tennis 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,3,6,2,4)
The Spartans are back in action next Sunday, Feb. 4th as they battle the UNCW Seahawks at noon in Wilmington, North Carolina.