Men's Tennis falls to No. 1 Seed ETSU in the SoCon Tournament
GREENVILLE, S.C. – UNCG men’s tennis dropped a 4-1 decision to the ETSU Buccaneers Saturday afternoon in the Southern Conference Tournament. The Spartans jumped out to an early lead, taking two of the three doubles competitions to earned the first point, but ultimately fell 4-1. UNCG finishes the 2017 season 10-14.
The Spartans took the doubles point, getting wins as No. 1 and No. 3. Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) took the first set, earning a 6-3 victory over Wencesalao Albin and David Gonzalez at No. 3. William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) and Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) took down Diego Nunez and Robert Herrera, 6-4 to open the scoring.
UNCG could not gain the advantage in the singles competition, dropping four of the six matches. Albright was first to fall at No. 3, dropping a 6-1, 6-2 decision to Nunez. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) fell at Herrera at No. 2, 6-3, 6-4. Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) dropped No. 6, 6-2, 7-6 and Thompson suffered a 7-6, 6-1 defeat to David Biosca at No. 1. The matches for Daniel Hammarstedt and Bryan went unfinished.
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) 7-6, 6-1
2. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-4
3. Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 6-1, 6-2
4. Miguel Este (ETSU) vs. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 7-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. David Gonzalez (ETSU) vs. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
6. Juan Lugo (ETSU) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-2, 7-6
1. William Albright and Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Diego Nunez and Robert Herrera (ETSU) 6-4
2. David Biosca and Miguel Este (ETSU) def. Marcus Vidgren and Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-2
3. Logan Walker and Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) def. Wenceslao Albin and David Gonzalez (ETSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Singles ( 3 2 6 1 ); Doubles ( 3 2 1 )
Start Time: 2 p.m. Duration: 3:25
With the loss, UNCG is eliminated from the Southern Conference Tournament.