Men's Tennis Sweeps Wofford to Advance in the SoCon Tournament
GREENVILLE, S.C. – UNCG men’s tennis earned a 4-0 victory over the Wofford Terriers Friday morning at the Mickel Tennis Center on Furman University’s campus. The Spartans took two of three doubles matches before getting three victories in the singles matches to take the match. UNCG improves to 10-13 on the season, hitting the 10-win plateau for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) got the scoring started with a 6-1 victory at No. 2. Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) dropped the No. 3 match, 6-4 before the pair of Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) defeated Haris Poric and Julian Chousa, 7-5 at No. 1 to take the point.
Vidgren, Albright and Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) earned the three victories needed to complete the sweep. Albright started the singles off defeating Parks Schoen, 6-1, 7-5. Hammarstedt got the second point, taking down Chousa, 6-3, 3-6, 6-0 before Vidgren wrapped up the scoring with a 6-1, 6-7, 6-1 victory at No. 2. Of the three matches that went unfinished, UNCG was leading in the third set in two.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) vs. Haris Poric (WOF) 6-1, 6-7, 4-1, unfinished
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Lucas Cerbelli (WOF) 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
3. William Albright (UNCG-M) def. Parks Schoen (WOF) 6-1, 7-5
4. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) vs. Jack Thomas (WOF) 7-6, 4-6, 4-2, unfinished
5. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) def. Julian Chousa (WOF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
6. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) vs. Kyle Barr (WOF) 6-3, 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
1. William Albright/Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Haris Poric/Julian Chousa (WOF) 7-5
2. Marcus Vidgren/Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. Andrew Graham/Patrick Longest (WOF) 6-1
3. Jack Thomas/Lucas Cerbelli (WOF) def. Logan Walker/Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 6-4
Wofford 14-9, 3-4 SoCon
UNCG 10-13, 3-4 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,2)
The Blue and Gold return to action tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 p.m. as it takes on the No. 1-seeded ETSU Buccaneers at the Mickel Tennis Center.