Men's Tennis Wraps up Regular Season Against Elon
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis played one final regular season competition against the Elon Phoenix Monday afternoon at the UNCG Tennis Courts. Originally scheduled for 5:00 p.m., the match was moved up due to severe weather in the forecast. The teams were able to finish four matches before retiring, with Elon earning the 4-0 decision. The Spartans fall to 9-13 on the season, while Elon improves to 11-11.
The teams did not play doubles and jumped straight into singles action in order to get the match in. The Spartans were unable to earn a point, with two matches going unfinished. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) came from behind to earn a 7-6 (3) victory at No. 1 singles before his match went unfinished. Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) also notched a tie-breaker victory in his first set at No. 4, but his match also went unfinished.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) vs. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 7-6 (3-0), 0-2, unfinished
2. Mario Paccini (ELON) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-2
3. Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) vs. Petar Tomic (ELON) 7-6 (4-0), 1-4, unfinished
5. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: Singles (5,3,2,6)
The men’s tennis team is back in action this Friday at 9:00 a.m. as it takes on the No. 5 seed Wofford Terriers in the first round of the Southern Conference Tournament at Furman.