Men's Tennis Closes Weekend with Victory over Radford
RADFORD, Va. – UNCG men’s tennis, competing in its third match in three days, earned a 5-2 victory over the Radford Highlanders Sunday afternoon at the Radford Tennis Complex. The Spartans dropped the first two matches this weekend before defeating the Highlanders. UNCG improves to 7-9 this season, while Radford falls to 2-13.
UNCG swept the doubles competition, taking the first point. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) took the first match, defeating Janken Thoen and Samuel Taylor, 6-1. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) defeated Alexandros Caldwell and Robin Calais, 6-1 at No. 2. At No. 1, Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) earned their third victory of the weekend, completing the sweep by defeating Rodrigo Magalhaes and Matko Varga, 6-3.
Thompson finished his weekend a perfect 6-0, taking down Caldwell in straight-sets, 6-2, 6-1. Albright defeated Taylor, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3 for UNCG’s third point. The Spartans solidified the victory as Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Collins Hill) defeated Varga, 6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 6-0. Burkill added to the scoring, defeating Thoen, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 5.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. CALDWELL, Alexandros (RAD) 6-2, 6-1
2. MAGALHAES, Rodrigo (RAD) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. William Albright (UNCG-M) def. TAYLOR, Samuel (RAD) 6-3, 6-3
4. CALAIS, Robin (RAD) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. THOEN, Janken (RAD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
6. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) def. VARGA, Matko (RAD) 6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,4,6,2,5)
UNCG men’s tennis is back in action Wednesday, April 5th as it hosts Elon at 6:00 p.m. at the UNCG Tennis Courts.