Men's Tennis Splits Singles, but Falls to Appalachian State
BOONE, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis suffered a 4-3 loss to the Appalachian State Mountaineers Friday afternoon. The Spartans fell in two of the three doubles matches, and that point proved to be the difference as the team’s split the singles competition. UNCG falls to 6-8 on the season, while the Mountaineers improve to 10-6.
The doubles point was highly contested. The Spartans took the No. 1 spot as Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Will Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) defeated Scott Webster and Milo Bargeron, 6-4.
Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, N.C./Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) dropped a narrow 7-5 decision at No. 2. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) needed extra sets against Alex Brea and Alex Pavkovich, but dropped the set, 7-6 (3).
The Spartans were able to take No. 1, 2 and 6 in singles play, but were unable to take the lead. Thompson faced Webster again in the singles competition, taking No. 1, 6-3, 7-5. Vidgren did his part, taking out Jack Maddocks at No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-3. Burkill avenged his doubles defeat by taking down Brea 6-4, 6-2. Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) came close to helping UNCG take the lead, but fell to Pavkovich, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 5.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Scott Webster (APPM) 6-2, 7-5
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Jack Maddocks (APPM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Trey Morris (APPM) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-3
4. Milo Bargeron (APPM) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-2
5. Alex Pavkovich (APPM) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. Alex Brea (APPM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Connor Thompson/William Albright (UNCG-M) def. Scott Webster/Milo Bargeron (APPM) 6-4
2. Jack Maddocks/Trey Morris (APPM) def. Marcus Vidgren/Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 7-5
3. Alex Brea/Alex Pavkovich (APPM) def. Warren Bryan/Logan Walker (UNCG-M) 7-6 (7-3)
Appalachian State 10-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (,2,3,1,4,6,5)
The men’s tennis team is back in action tomorrow afternoon at home as the Spartans take on Georgia Southern at the UNCG Tennis Courts at 2:00 p.m.