Women's Tennis Drops Matchup with Mercer
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis fought hard to earn the doubles point, but were unable to split the singles matches, falling to the Mercer Bears, 5-2 Thursday afternoon. The Spartans fall to 2-15 overall, and 1-3 in Southern Conference play. Mercer improves to 12-5, and 4-1 in the SoCon.
UNCG tallied a pair of tough wins to take the doubles point. Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) notched their sixth win of the year, defeating Katie Sidor and Haley Powell, 7-6 (4). Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) teamed with Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) to defeat Marie Mottet and Christie Cesarini, 7-6 (4) to take the first point of the match.
The Spartans didn’t fair as well in the singles matchups. Blythe notched UNCG’s lone victory, defeating Andrea Peteu, 5-7, 7-6, X-X. Boaz and Alice Taylor (London, Great Britain/UMBC) played tough, but fell in three sets at No. 5, and No. 2, respectively.
1. Katia Stavroulaki (MER) def. Masey DeMoss (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2
2. Grace Korta (MER) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 7-6, 4-6, 13-11
3. Katie Sidor (MER) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
4. Marie Mottet (MER) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
5. Haley Powell (MER) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-7, 6-3, 7-6
6. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) def. Andrea Peteu (MER) 7-6, 6-4
Mercer University 12-5, 4-1 SoCon
UNCG 2-15, 1-3 SoCon
UNCG is back in action this Saturday as its travels to Western Carolina for another Southern Conference matchup at 1:00 p.m.