Women's Tennis Falls in SoCon Action to Furman
GREENVILLE, S.C. – UNCG women’s tennis suffered a 7-0 loss to the Furman Paladins in Greenville Sunday afternoon. UNCG is now 2-14 on the season, and 1-2 in Southern Conference action. Furman improves to 16-5, and 3-0 in the SoCon.
UNCG was swept in the doubles competition. Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) played tough, but fell to Katty Weymouth and Danni Vines, 7-6. Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) and Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) had another tough match, but fell to Blair Martin and Katarina Kozarov, 6-4.
The Spartans were unable to earn a point in the singles competition. Blythe fell in three sets to Karlee Bryde at No. 6.
1. Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Masey DeMoss (UNCG) 6-1, 6-0
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG) 7-6, 6-4
3. Danni Vines (FUR) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
4. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3
5. Blair Martin (FUR) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-0, 7-6
6. Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,3,2,6,4)
The women’s tennis team is back in action Thursday, March 30th in Macon, Ga. against the Mercer Bears.