Women’s Tennis Snaps Losing streak with Win over Wofford
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis earned a 5-2 victory over the Wofford Terriers Saturday afternoon at the UNCG tennis courts. The Spartans had lost 11-straight matches prior to the win. UNCG improves to 2-13 overall, and are 1-1 in Southern Conference play. Wofford falls to 9-8, and 0-2 in the SoCon.
UNCG earned the doubles point, getting victories at No.2 and No. 3. Corinne Blythe (Leicestershire, Great Britain/Queenswood School) and Sophia Adams (Miami, Fla./TERRA Environmental Institute) cruised to a 6-2 victory at No. 3. Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) tallied a narrow 7-6 (1-0) victory at No. 2 to give UNCG the doubles point and the lead.
UNCG took four of the six singles matches to solidify the win. DeMoss earned a three-set victory over Cat Martin at No. 1, 1-6, 6-0, 6-2. Alice Taylor (Cambridge, Great Britain/UMBC) noted a victory over Cassidy Hicks, 6-3, 6-0 at No. 2. Adams knocked off Lauren Reid in two sets, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 4. Boaz wrapped up the singles scoring, defeating Taylor Carlton in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 10-5.
1. Masey DeMoss (UNCG) def. Catherine Martin (WOF) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Alice Taylor (UNCG) def. Cassidy Hicks (WOF) 6-3, 6-0
3. Kalli Karas (WOF) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 6-2, 7-5
4. Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. Lauren Reid (WOF) 6-3, 6-4
5. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) def. Taylor Carlson (WOF) 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
6. Curran Carver (WOF) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-7 (0-4), 6-3, 10-5
Wofford 9-8, 0-2 SoCon
UNCG 2-13, 1-1 SoCon
The women’s tennis team is back in action Sunday, March 26th at 11:00 a.m. at Furman University.