Men's Tennis Falls to Presbyterian
CLINTON, S.C. – Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) notched victories in the doubles and singles competitions, but it was not enough as UNCG men’s tennis fell to Presbyterian, 5-2 Friday night. Thompson played at No. 1 in both competitions. The Spartans fall to 5-6 on the season. Presbyterian improves to 9-9.
Thompson teamed up with Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) to earn the win at No. 1 doubles. The two teamed up to defeat Ben Kelley and Joel Roberts, 6-0. Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) and Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) teamed up to take down Brandon Mills and Alexander Lykou, 6-3, at No. 2. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) were trailing 5-4 when their match when unfinished.
Thompson cruised to a victory over Lykou at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-1, but UNCG was unable to score another point. Bryan dropped a three-set heart breaker to Kelly 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5) at No. 3 singles.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. LYKOU, Alexander (PC) 6-3, 6-1
2. MILLS, Brandon (PC) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-4, 6-2
3. KELLEY, Ben (PC) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
4. BEJAR, Alejandro (PC) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-0
5. LOPEZ, Jaime (PC) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) 6-1, 6-3
6. ROBERTS, Joel (PC) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-0
UNCG is back in action Sunday as it hosts Mercer in its third Southern Conference match of the season.