Men’s Tennis Wins Doubles but Cannot Hold off ETSU
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis played a tough match with Southern Conference foe ETSU Sunday afternoon at the UNCG Tennis Courts. The Spartans started the afternoon sweeping the doubles competition, but fell 4-3 as UNCG tallied a pair of wins in the singles portion.
The Spartans got the scoring rolling, taking all three doubles matches. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) defeated Robert Herrera and Diego Nunez, 6-2 at No. 1. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) knocked off the pair of David Biosca and Juan Lugo, 6-4 at No. 2. Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) needed extra sets, but took care of David Gonzalez and Wenceslao Albin, 7-6 (6-0).
Thompson and Vidgren earned ranked victories in the singles competition. Thompson defeated No. 69 Biosca, 7-6 (6-0), 4-6, 6-4) for one point. Vidgren bested No. 129 Nunez in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2. Matches three, four and five were highly contested. Albright, Bryan and Daniel Hammarsted (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) played their opponents to three sets, but none could gain the final point UNCG needed.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. #69 David Biosca (ETSU) 7-6 (6-0), 4-6, 6-4
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. #120 Diego Nunez (ETSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. William Albright (UNCG) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Juan Lugo (ETSU) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG) 6-7 (0-3), 6-4, 7-5
5. David Gonzalez (ETSU) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-7 (0-4), 6-1, 6-0
6. Wenceslao Albin (ETSU) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,3,5,1,4)
The men’s tennis team is back in action Friday, Match 24th as it travels to Presbyterian for a nonconference matchup.