Men's Tennis Soundly Defeats Chattanooga at Home
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis defeated the Chattanooga Mocs 5-2 on Saturday afternoon. The Spartans improve to 5-3 with the victory. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) partnered to take No. 1 doubles, as well as No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively.
Along with the pair of Thompson and Vidgren, Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) defeated Derrick Brown and Lucas Plesky, 6-3 at No. 3 doubles.
UNCG notched four victories in the singles portion of the competition. Thopson defeated Plesky, 7-6 (8-0), 6-1, at No. 1, with Vidgren defeating Niklas Gerdes, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2. Bryan knocked off Simon Bustamante, 6-2, 7-6 (6-0) at No. 4. Freshman Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) defeating Austin Boaz, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 6.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Lucas Plesky (UTC) 7-6 (8-0), 6-1
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Niklas Gerdes (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nic Wilson (UTC) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-4
4. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) def. Simon Bustamante (UTC) 6-2, 7-6 (6-0)
5. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0
6. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. Austin Boaz (UTC) 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,6,4,1,5)
UNCG men’s tennis is back in action Saturday, March 11th as it hosts the Wofford Terriers in Southern Conference action beginning at 11:00 a.m.