Men's Tennis Drops Match at Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis dropped a 6-1 decision on Friday afternoon to the Charlotte 49ers. UNCG’s point came as Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) defeated Jensen Martin in three sets to earn the point. The Spartans fall to 4-3 on the season, while Charlotte improves to 6-6.
UNCG won one of the three doubles matches, and was unable to earn the point. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) continued their good play, defeating Sam Rice and Leonardo Menezes, 6-3 at No.1 doubles. UNCG was unable to come away with another win, falling 6-4 at No. 2 and No. 3.
The Spartans played the singles matches closer than the score indicates. UNCG fell in three sets in three of the six matches, and earned its point at No. 6 singles in three sets. Thompson and Vidgren fell in three sets at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) took the other three-set loss, falling at No. 5.
1. Sam Rice (CHA) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Leonardo Menezes (CHA) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-7 (1-7), 6-2, 6-3
3. A. Garcia Moreno (CHA) def. William Albright (UNCG) 7-5, 6-4
4. Oriol Puig Forne (CHA) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG) 6-4, 7-5
5. Max Benaim (CHA) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. Jensen Martin (CHA) 6-7 (9-11), 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,5,1,2,6)
The Blue and Gold is back in action Sunday, March 5th as it opens Southern Conference play against the Chattanooga Mocs at home at 1:00 p.m.