Men's Tennis Victorious at Gardner-Webb
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis got a pair of wins from junior Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) to defeat the Gardner-Webb Bulldogs Sunday afternoon. Thompson earned wins at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles in the match. Four singles victories helped cement the 5-2 victory over the Bulldogs.
The Spartans earned the doubles point, earning victories at No. 1 and No. 2. Thompson partnered with Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) to take down the pair of Max Scholl and Paul Hogan, 6-4 at No. 1. William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) teamed up to take down Stefano Puga and Breno Plentz, 6-1.
In singles, Thompson again defeated Scholl, this time in three sets, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. The pair had met up earlier this fall, with Scholl gaining the advantage on Thompson. Vidgren handled Hogan at No. 2, winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Albright earned the victory at No. 3 singles, narrowly defeating Adam Schmidt, 6-7, 7-6, 1-0. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) took care of business at No. 4 singles, defeating Puga 7-6, 6-3.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Max Scholl (GWU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Paul Hogan (GWU) 6-1, 6-4
3. William Albright (UNCG-M) def. Adam Schmidt (GWU) 6-7 (4-0), 7-6 (3-0), 1-0 (3-0)
4. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) def. Stefano Puga (GWU) 7-6 (2-0), 6-3
5. Breno Plentz (GWU) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Ross Gilbert (GWU) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,1,5,3,4)
UNCG men’s tennis is back in action Friday, March 6th in Charlotte, N.C. against the Charlotte 49ers.