Women's Tennis Falls at No. 2 North Carolina
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis started the 2017 spring campaign inside the Cone-Kenfield Indoor Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C. Saturday afternoon. The Spartans fell to the nation’s second ranked women’s tennis team, 7-0. It was UNCG’s first action of the 2017 season.
UNCG was unable to record a point against one of the top teams in NCAA women’s tennis this season. North Carolina earned the doubles point, taking No. 1 and No. 2. Yasmin Franco (Largo, Fla./Indian Rocks Christian) and Alice Taylor (Cambridge, N.C./UMBC) fell at No.1, 6-0. Blaine Boaz (Dunwoody, Ga./Saint Pius X) and Masey DeMoss (Mayodan, N.C./McMichael) dropped No. 2, 6-1. No. 3 doubles was left unfinished after the conclusion of the second match.
Taylor (Cambridge, Great Britain/UMBC), a junior transfer, fell to No. 5 ranked Hayley Carter at No. 1 (6-1, 6-0), with Sarah Swiderski (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Saddlebrook Prep) falling to No. 3 ranked Sara Daavettila (6-1, 6-0).
Franco fell to No. 44 Alexa Grahm at No. 3 singles (6-0, 6-0), with DeMoss falling to No. 45 Makenna Jones at No. 4 (6-4, 6-1).
Boaz and Nancy Bridges (Shelby, N.C./Shelby) fell at No. 5 and No. 6 respectively.
1. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG-W) 6-1, 6-0
2. #3 Sara Daavettila (NC) def. Sarah Swiderski (UNCG-W) 6-1, 6-0
3. #44 Alexa Graham (NC) def. Yasmin Franco (UNCG-W) 6-0, 6-0
4. #45 Makenna Jones (NC) def. Masey DeMoss (UNCG-W) 6-4, 6-1
5. Cassandra Vazquez (NC) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG-W) 6-2, 6-2
6. Maggie Kane (NC) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG-W) 6-4, 6-1
UNCG is back in action on tomorrow, as it faces Ball State at 10:00 a.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Indoor Tennis Center.