Men's Tennis Splits Matches in its First Action of 2017
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis opened the 2017 season Monday morning against the Bucknell Bison, before taking on No. 9 North Carolina Tar Heels this afternoon. UNCG ends its first day of competition 1-1, defeating Bucknell 6-1, before falling to the Tar Heels, 7-0.
In the morning match against the Bison, the Spartans were able to take two of the three doubles matches to earn the point. The pair of Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) defeated Daniel Wright and Andrei Vituic, 7-5. William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) defeated Max Palmer and Max Kane, 6-1 at the No. 2 position.
Albright got the scoring started in the singles competition, defeating Vituic 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3. Vidgren added another point, defeating Palmer, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) took down Ben Gerber at No. 6 singles, 7-5, 6-3. At No. 1 singles, Thompson started his season undefeated, taking down Wright, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) narrowly defeated Bryan Adams at No. 5, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Max Palmer (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 6-2
3. William Albright (UNCG) def. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 6-0, 6-3
4. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 6-0, 3-6, 7-5
5. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. Bryan Adams (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Warren Bryan (UNCG) def. Ben Gerber (BUCKNELL) 7-5, 6-3
The Spartans didn’t fair as well in the second competition of the day. UNCG fell to the No. 9 North Carolina Tar Heels at a tally of 7-0. The Tar Heels improved to 3-0 on the young season.
UNCG narrowly missed the doubles point. The pair of Thompson and Vidgren held their own against UNC’s Robert Kelly and William Blumberg, but fell 6-4. Albright and Burkill dropped No.2 doubles, 6-1. Bryan and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) played competitively in the third flight, knotting the match 5-5 before it was retired.
1. Ronnie Schneider (NC) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG) 6-3, 6-0
2. William Blumberg (NC) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3
3. Jack Murray (NC) def. William Albright (UNCG) 6-1 (13-11), 4-6, 1-0
4. Robert Kelly (NC) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
5. Blaine Boyden (NC) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3
6. Arturo Schmidt (NC) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
The Blue and Gold return to the court Sunday, Jan. 22 at 11:00 a.m. as it takes on the Troy Trojans. The match is set to take place at the UNCG Tennis Courts, pending weather.